Barton has been in the public accounting profession for over 30 years,
serving in a vast array of Committees with the North Carolina Association of
Certified Public Accountants, the American Institute of CPAs, and various other
organizations and groups.
Barton is a 1968 graduate of the University of Georgia with a Bachelor of
Business Administration in Accountancy.
Barton is currently a member, and has served in the capacity listed, of the
National Association of State Boards of Accountancy
- Member, Examinations Review
- Chairman, 2001-2002
- Past Chair, 2002-2003
- Board of Directors, Mid-Atlantic Regional Director -
- Relations with Member Boards Committee, Chairman - 1996-1997
- Administration and Finance Committee, Chairman - 1997-1999
- Task Force on Expense Reimbursement, Chairman - 1997
- Investment Committee, Chairman - 1997-1999
- Joint Committee Proposal - Strategic Planning Group for
Implementation - 1997
- Treasurer - 1997-1999
- Board of Directors, Director-At-Large -
- Uniform Accountancy Act Committee, Chairman -
- Task Force On Peer Review Administration - 2000
- Task Force on Attest Experience - 1999-2000
American Institute of CPAs
- AICPA Auditing Standards Board -
2003 - 2006
- AICPA Governing Council (Appointed) -
- AICPA State Legislation Committee, Area II Sub-Committee -
- AICPA State Legislation Committee - 1991-1993
- AICPA Governing Council (Elected) - 1991-1994
- AICPA Quality Review Executive Committee - 1993-1996
North Carolina State Board of CPA Examiners
- Board Member - 1994-present
- Professional Standards Committee, Chairman -
- Vice-President - 1994-1996
- Personnel Committee - 1994-1997
North Carolina Association of Certified Public
Continuing Professional Education Committee
Governmental Affairs and Legislation Committee
Long Range Planning Committee
Nominating Committee, Chairman
Personnel Committee, Chairman
Quality Review Executive Committee
Board of Directors
Recipient, "Raymond Rains Award for Outstanding Service
to the Profession"
Mr. Baldwin has just begun his 7th year on the North Carolina State Board of CPA Examiners (State Board of Accountancy) and also serves on the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy Board of Directors. These positions provide him the opportunity to help regulate the profession and protect the public interest.
Barton is also a member of the North Carolina Democratic Party, he served as
Treasurer, served on the Executive Committee from 1989-1990, and on the Finance
Committee from 1989-1991.
His civic and church activities range from statewide to local concerns.
On a national level he is a United States Junior Chamber of Commerce Foundation
Hall of Leadership Inductee, 1996 (one of five in the United States).
On the state level of the United Methodist Church - North Carolina Conference
he served on the Committee on Young Adult Ministries from 1997-1980 and on the
Conference Council on Finance and Administration from 1992-2000. At the
First United Methodist Church, where he is a member, he has served in the
following capacities: Administrative Board - 14 years, Finance Committee -
18 years, Lay Leader, Lay Member- Annual Conference - 8 years, and as a Sunday
Locally, within our county, he has served as President of Carver Elementary
PTA, Southern Wayne High School PTSA President for 3 years; Wayne County
Industrial Development Commission - 1978-1981 and 1987-1990.
In the Mount Olive Community he has contributed greatly in the following
ways: Mount Olive Area Chamber of Commerce - President, 1980; Mount Olive
Jaycees - President, 1981-1982; Mount Olive Boys and Girls Club - President,
1994-1996; Mount Olive Committee of 100 - President, 1988-1999; Mount Olive
Democratic Party - Precinct Chairman; Mount Olive Rotary Club - President -
District 773 "Rotarian of the Year" 1983; Vice President, Stage
Struck: The Young People’s Own Theatre 2005
He is the holder of Certificate Number 10804, issued by the North
Carolina State Board of Certified Public Accountants Examiners and Certificate
Number 3047, issued by the Georgia State Board of Accountancy.